FIVE people have been arrested this morning following an armed robbery in Malmesbury.
Police received a call reporting the incident which took place at the post office in Oaksey at approximately 7.30am.
It is believed two men entered the store with a weapon and stole a quantity of cigarettes and cash.
Enquiries led officers to the Calne area where five people were arrested as follows:
– A 19-year-old man from Swindon was arrested on suspicion of armed robbery
– A 20-year-old man, of no fixed abode, was arrested on suspicion of armed robbery and possession of cannabis.
– A 44-year-old woman from Calne was arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender
– A 22-year-old man from Calne was arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender
– A 38-year-old man from Calne was arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender
They have all been taken to custody in Melksham where they remain.
A weapon has been seized and enquiries are ongoing.
A Wiltshire Police spokesperson said: “This was an excellent example of team work between Tri-force officers, as well as local Neighbourhood Policing officers which has led to the swift arrest of five individuals. They are currently in custody and our enquiries are continuing this morning.”
Anyone with information on the incident in Oaksey should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.